A Trauma-Informed Approach
There is a growing body of research on the impact childhood adversity has on long-term mental and physical health. To ensure every child develops positive mental health and resilience, we recognise and respond to the impact of traumatic experiences on our children and we focus on creating a safe and supportive environment by:
- Building Awareness: Educating staff about the effects of trauma and its prevalence.
- Creating Safe Spaces: Establishing physical and emotional safety in classrooms and throughout the school.
- Fostering Trusting Relationships: Prioritising positive relationships between students and staff, acknowledging the importance of trust.
- Individualised Support: Offering personalised assistance for students who have experienced trauma, considering their unique needs.
- Cultivating a Supportive Culture: Promoting a culture of understanding, empathy, and inclusivity to reduce stigma and judgement.
- Skill Development: Equipping teachers with skills to manage challenging behaviours and provide appropriate support.
- Collaboration: Encouraging collaboration between teachers, counsellors, and other support staff to address the diverse needs of students.
At Freshfield, we strive to create an environment that promotes healing, resilience, and academic success for children who have experienced trauma and are proud to have met the standards for the Attachment & Trauma Sensitive School Bronze Award 2024. We are now working towards the Silver Quality Mark.
For more information, please visit the link below.
For the full report please click here.